Kerri's Talking Again? Shocker.

Nothing fancy here...just random thoughts that run through my mind as I work my way through life...

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Day Two at MUSC 10/09

Day Two began around 12:30 AM, when the tech who came in was unaware that it's basically a standing order that CF patients are not to be disturbed from 11pm-7am. He was also unaware that vitals can be taken with just the light from the hallway...hence his use of the overhead lights all THREE times he visited me in my sleep.

By 6:45 AM I had given up and given in. Was dressed and even had makeup on by the time anyone came in to see me.

Breakfast tray arrives bright and early...and is the exact opposite of everything I had ordered. I ask for hardboiled egg, they give me powdery looking scrambled. Ask for a waffle, get an uncooked english muffin. Ask for tea, they give me coffee. Ask for orange juice, the give me apple. It's almost comical. I'm in opposite land. May use a different approach when I order for tomorrow. [sidenote: attempted to order breakfast a little while ago and get a recording that informs me dietary closes at 7pm. so tomorrow's food will be a crapshoot as well] I dined on contraband fruit loops and got some OJ from a nurse.

Respiratory comes in to do my morning treatments. We are interrupted by orders to have me rushed to the PFT lab for a test. Huh? Did I not just do this on Tuesday, hence the hospital stay? I go all the way over to that building. Take the test. The results are identical to what they had been less than 48 hrs before. Shocker. An undertaking that I'm certain the medicare people will love.

Lunch arrives around 11:30 and is not that bad, slightly identifiable. There is a salad and a banana that I stash for later--was glad to have had that foresight as dinner was nasty; enjoyed feast of warm salad and banana. The banana makes me smile.

Neighbor from last night finally passed. It was very sad. Entire...ENTIRE family was in hall crying. No...WAILING in pain and grief. Wailing began when patient stopped breathing and continued for about an hour until patient expired. Sat here with my lunch listening to last rites. Depression set in. Decided to go for a walk in search of tea. Got hot water from starbucks. Yay for tea.

Attempted after dinner to get more water from Starbucks only to learn that they close at 4:30 and are not open on weekends. Had to seek alternative means for hot water. Acquired it from scary food tent in parking lot.

At some point in late afternoon my CF doc stops in for a visit. I greet him with , "Wow! You DO exist!" He looks at me confused. I then explain to him that I had yet to see a physician. Actually, the doc who saw me last night for 8 minutes and at dawn for 3 had been nice, but no one else had been by. Not even when they were doing rounds on my floor. Doc and I had heart to heart. I rattled off my list of complaints and explained that if lines of communication aren't opened up soon I will take my suitcase and walk home. He said, "please don't do that." I wouldn't. I live nearly 4 hrs away by car and it was 92 degrees outside. My suitcase is heavy. It's full of cereal and Doctor Who dvds.

Have spent remainder of evening watching DW and playing bananagrams. I win every game. Have made a mental list of my favorite DW episodes from each season. Debated when to go for my next tattoo. Tried to determine how difficult working with fondant would be. Went to the gym and walked on treadmill for a bit. CF has its privileges. Cannot get a straight answer from anyone as to why I am here or how long I will have to stay. Would like to be home before the 14th. I have scouts that night and scene blocking on the 15th. Not to mention a family that I would like to go home to.

Heard a funny story. I was on the phone with Garrett while he was walking the dogs. He then goes to remove a package from the trunk of the car (he's new to multitasking and with dogs involved something was bound to happen). Just as he was slamming the trunk shut, Elphaba decided to jump in. Nothing like giving the man a heart attack. I had to laugh. You'd have to have spent time with Elfi to know the true humor of the situation.

Am hoping that none of my shows are being deleted from DVR. Am really worried about Kay. Curious as to how weekend will go seeing as how nothing will be open and most staff is off. Will have to find ways to occupy my mind for the weekend. Clicking my heels together isn't working and I left my broomstick at home. Am really, really worried about Kay.

Just got a call from Rylie. Now she is sick. Not sure if it is side effects from the flu shot she received on Wednesday morning, or perhaps she picked up something at the germ box they call middle school. I should be home being a proper mom.

Contemplating searching for roof access. Would be a nice place to hold private play rehearsal...loudly. Then again, singing in my room couldn't be any more disturbing than the wake in the hallway this morning. Perhaps a sing along amongst staff and patients? Any suggestions?

No comments: