Kerri's Talking Again? Shocker.

Nothing fancy here...just random thoughts that run through my mind as I work my way through life...

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Day One at MUSC 10/09

I went to clinic on Tuesday (10/6). They tell me I should be admitted. I drive over 3 hours home to break news to family, pack, pay bills, so on and so forth. I get a call on Wednesday saying that a bed request was already put in for Thursday morning and an appointment was made to have PICC line put in. I should arrive at MUSC between 11-12pm.

I arrive at MUSC at 11:10am.

I go to admitting. They don't know why I'm here. They send me to the department where PICC line will be put in. I stop at their admit area. They don't know why I'm here. It takes nearly an hour to get me into surg. area to get PICC line, where staff is already gowned up and pacing and proclaims, "there you are!!" when I arrive. Apparently, they knew I was supposed to be there.

After line is inserted they call 8th floor to find out what room I'm to go to. 8th floor doesn't have a room for me. They claim "she's at home waiting for us to call and tell her when one is available." Ummm...no I'm not.

I end up back in original central admit area. No phone service. Cafeteria under construction. There is a sci-fi looking decontamination tent thing set up in the parking lot subbing as a cafeteria. I have mystery meat and mashed potatoes for lunch at 1pm. Back to admin waiting area.

Wait. Wait. Wait. They take this area seriously....

At 5pm I get assigned a room. I go upstairs. Miss the dinner tray by five minutes. No food for me. Thankfully, sweet nurse finds me a ham sandwich and some pretzels. Another brings me a pepsi. I love them.

Am in room with nothing going into my PICC line. No doctors orders. I am the mystery patient. Eventually around 7:30, during my Brady Bunch marathon and dinner of pop tarts (this was prior to the ham sandwich miracle) someone comes and takes me for an x-ray.

Come back to room. Finally have doctors orders. Someone mistakenly puts in chart that I'm trying to lose weight and am on diet. Doctor tries to tell me I can't have my pepsi. I snap at her, "your cafeteria is gone. I drink tea all day like others drink coffee. If I am in here hungry, with no caffeine or sugar we will have a problem. You will not want me here." She looks at me funny. I am NOT on a diet. Yes, I discussed my unhappiness with my recent prednisone induced weight gain with the dietician on Tuesday, but the prednisone is stopped now, it won't take long for my metabolism to drop some of the weight. I wasn't inferring that now, while in captivity, would be a good time to try out the act of dieting.

Have finally begun to receive IV meds. Have just finished my first respiratory treatment (though it made me miss my 9pm shows. Was watching Supernatural, but switched to Grays because I don't care if I can't hear Gray's...they've already jumped the shark). Will now eat contraband Fruit Loops and Sierra Mist for dessert. Brought all 4 seasons of Doctor Who with me, may throw in a disc and attempt to get some sleep later.

Am missing my Rylie and Garrett terribly. And Caitlyn. And my puppies. Ok, wait....people in next room are singing. Not happy birthday, something else. Why are people singing? It's 10pm. In a hospital. Am in the twilight zone.

Can't wait to see what Day Two brings.

No comments: